Nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) is an epithelial malignancy exhibiting a strong geographic preference and a close association with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). The aim of this study was to investigate the precise mechanism of nasopharyngeal epithelial-to-NPC tumorigenesis and to identify possible biomarkers and targets for therapy.
Proteomic analysis was performed on the immortalized nasopharyngeal epithelial cell line NP69 and the NPC cell line C666.
A comparative analysis of total lysates from the cell lines using 2-D gel electrophoresis–mass spectrometry resulted in the identification of 87 different protein spots. The different proteins were grouped into 5 main categories: (i) energy production and general metabolism, (ii) adaptation/stress tolerance, (iii) cell proliferation, (iv) cell structure and (v) epithelial-mesenchymal transition. The detection of metabolism-related proteins indicated that the NPC cells relied on aerobic glycolysis, with reduced use of the citric acid cycle. Glucose uptake and lactate secretion increased in the medium of C666 compared with NP69.
The present study revealed that glycolysis was up-regulated in the NPC cell lines compared with nasopharyngeal epithelial cells. A number of molecules involved in metabolism were identified, and further investigations will be needed to validate these potential biomarkers or targets.
Tumori 2015; 101(6): 676 - 683
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsPei-Yu Huang, Ting-Ting Zeng, Meng-Qing Li, Xiaojiao Ban, Ying-Hui Zhu, Bao-Zhu Zhang, Hai-Qiang Mai, Li Zhang, Xin-Yuan Guan, Yan Li
- • Accepted on 09/04/2015
- • Available online on 06/06/2015
- • Published in print on 14/11/2015
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Huang, Pei-Yu [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Zeng, Ting-Ting [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Li, Meng-Qing [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Ban, Xiaojiao [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Zhu, Ying-Hui [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Zhang, Bao-Zhu [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Mai, Hai-Qiang [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Zhang, Li [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 3
- Guan, Xin-Yuan [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 4, * Corresponding Author (email@example.com)
- Li, Yan [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, Collaborative Innovation Center of Cancer Medicine, Guangzhou - PR China
Department of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou - PR China
Department of Medical Oncology, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou - PR China
Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong - PR China