Advertisement

Outcomes of trimodality approach in the management of T2N0M0 bladder cancer

Abstract

Aims and Background

The main objective of this study is to evaluate outcomes of bladder preservation treatment for patients with muscle-invasive bladder cancer.

Methods and Study design

38 patients with histologically proven muscle-invasive bladder cancer treated at our department between January 2008 and December 2013 were analyzed retrospectively. Age, gender, pathology, stage, 3-year overall survival, 3-year disease-free survival, radiotherapy (RT) dose, genitourinary and gastrointestinal toxicity scores and response evaluation of the patients were recorded. 3-year overall survival and 3-year disease-free survivals were calculated by Kaplan-Meier method along with the analysis of gender, pathology, stage and therapy response of the study group.

Results

33 patients (86.8%) were managed with concomitant chemoradiotherapy whereas 5 patients (13.2%) received only radiation therapy due to renal insufficency and comorbid diseases. 6 (15.8%) out of 38 patients had partial response (PR) and remaining 32 (84.2%) patients experienced complete response (CR). The PR group underwent salvage cystectomy and CR group had been followed-up after radical radiotherapy. Mean age of the group was 70.9 (range 45-90) years. 26 of all patients were male (68.4%) and 12 were female (31.6%). Mean follow-up time after completion of radiotherapy was 24.7 months (range 12-40). Mean RT dose was 64 Gy (range 60-66). 3-year overall survival was 64% and 3-year disease free survival was 73%.

Conclusions

Bladder preserving approach is an alternative definitive therapy solution to radical cystectomy in the treatment of muscle-invasive bladder cancer with less morbidity, preserved natural bladder, and high quality of life.

Tumori 2015; 101(2): 232 - 237

Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE

DOI:10.5301/tj.5000294

Authors

Bora Uysal, Murat Beyzadeoglu, Selcuk Demiral, Hakan Gamsiz, Ferrat Dincoglan, Omer Sager, Mustafa Akin, Mustafa Alparslan Babayigit

Article History

Disclosures

Financial support: No financial support was received for this submission.
Conflict of interest: The authors have no conflict of interest.

This article is available as full text PDF.

  • If you are a Subscriber, please log in now.

  • Article price: Eur 36,00
  • You will be granted access to the article for 72 hours and you will be able to download any format (PDF or ePUB). The article will be available in your login area under "My PayPerView". You will need to register a new account (unless you already own an account with this journal), and you will be guided through our online shop. Online purchases are paid by Credit Card through PayPal.
  • If you are not a Subscriber you may:
  • Subscribe to this journal
  • Unlimited access to all our archives, 24 hour a day, every day of the week.

Authors

Affiliations

  • Department of Radiation Oncology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara - Turkey
  • Department of Public Health, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara - Turkey

Article usage statistics

The blue line displays unique views in the time frame indicated.
The yellow line displays unique downloads.
Views and downloads are counted only once per session.

No supplementary material is available for this article.