Amrubicin monotherapy can be an effective treatment option for patients with recurrent small cell lung cancer (SCLC). We conducted this retrospective study to investigate the prognostic factors in patients with recurrent SCLC receiving amrubicin monotherapy.
The associations between survival and clinical data, including the performance status, body mass index (BMI), plasma lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) level, and plasma neuron-specific enolase level, were evaluated in patients with recurrent SCLC, and a subset analysis of patients with platinum-resistant disease was conducted.
In all, 37 patients were evaluated. The median survival from the date of initiation of amrubicin monotherapy was 9.1 months (95% confidence interval 4.7-12.0 months). Multivariate analysis using a Cox proportional hazard model identified the plasma LDH level (p = 0.049), BMI (p = 0.031), and platinum resistance (p = 0.032) as independent factors associated with survival. The same associations were also observed in the subset of patients with platinum-resistant disease.
Our findings suggest that the plasma LDH level and BMI may be useful prognostic factors in patients with SCLC receiving amrubicin monotherapy, including patients with platinum-resistant disease.
Tumori 2016; 102(6): 606 - 609
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsMinehiko Inomata, Ryuji Hayashi, Kotaro Tokui, Chihiro Taka, Seisuke Okazawa, Kenta Kambara, Tomomi Ichikawa, Toru Yamada, Toshiro Miwa, Tatsuhiko Kashii, Shoko Matsui, Kazuyuki Tobe
- • Accepted on 23/07/2015
- • Available online on 30/09/2015
- • Published in print on 01/12/2016
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Inomata, Minehiko [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, * Corresponding Author (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hayashi, Ryuji [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Tokui, Kotaro [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Taka, Chihiro [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Okazawa, Seisuke [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Kambara, Kenta [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Ichikawa, Tomomi [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Yamada, Toru [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Miwa, Toshiro [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Kashii, Tatsuhiko [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Matsui, Shoko [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Tobe, Kazuyuki [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
First Department of Internal Medicine, University of Toyama, Toyama City - Japan
Department of Medical Oncology, Toyama University Hospital, Toyama City - Japan