It is unknown whether there is a benefit to starting androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) prior to rather than concurrently with definitive radiation therapy in men with high-risk prostate cancer. We studied the National Cancer Data Base to determine whether the timing of ADT impacts survival.
Men diagnosed with high-risk prostate adenocarcinoma who received external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) to a dose of 70-81 Gy along with ADT from 2004-2011 were included. Those who started ADT 42-90 days before EBRT were identified as having received neoadjuvant hormonal therapy (N-HT) and those who received ADT from 14 days before their radiation until 84 days after the start of EBRT were categorized as receiving concurrent/adjuvant treatment (C-HT). We used the log-rank test to compare Kaplan-Meier survival curves and multivariable Cox regression to assess the impact of covariables on overall survival (OS).
Among 11,491 included patients, those receiving N-HT were 1 year older (
External beam radiation therapy with N-HT was associated with improved overall survival compared to C-HT. This study is hypothesis-generating and further studies are needed to best qualify the sequencing of hormone therapy with the duration of treatment.
Tumori 2017; 103(4): 387 - 393
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsAnna Lee, Daniel J. Becker, Ariel J. Lederman, Virginia W. Osborn, Meng S. Shao, Andrew T. Wong, David Schwartz, David Schreiber
- • Accepted on 05/12/2016
- • Available online on 12/01/2017
- • Published in print on 31/07/2017
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Lee, Anna [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2, * Corresponding Author (email@example.com)
- Becker, Daniel J. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Lederman, Ariel J. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Osborn, Virginia W. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Shao, Meng S. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Wong, Andrew T. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Schwartz, David [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Schreiber, David [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
Department of Radiation Oncology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY - USA
Department of Veterans Affairs, New York Harbor Healthcare System, Brooklyn, NY - USA