To evaluate the utility of a multiparametric 3T magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study using diffusion-weighted images (DWI) for the assessment of prostate cancer before and after radiotherapy (RT).
A total of 34 patients, who received a histologic diagnosis of prostate adenocarcinoma, underwent MRI examination before and after local RT for the assessment of response to treatment. Apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) values were calculated and compared.
Before RT, DWI shows pathologic restriction of signal, while after RT pathologic restriction of signal was reduced or disappeared. The ADC values were significantly increased after therapy (p<0.05).
The use of DWI with ADC measurements may be an imaging biomarker in the assessment of prostate cancer.
Tumori 2016; 102(1): 71 - 76
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsGiancarlo Iannelli, Rocchina Caivano, Luciana Rago, Vittorio Simeon, Antonella Lotumolo, Paola Rabasco, Antonio Villonio, Matilde Gioioso, Pietro Mastrangelo, Flavio Barchetti, Valeria Panebianco, Luca Macarini, Giuseppe Guglielmi, Aldo Cammarota
- • Accepted on 18/07/2015
- • Available online on 04/09/2015
- • Published in print on 04/02/2016
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Iannelli, Giancarlo [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Caivano, Rocchina [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, * Corresponding Author (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rago, Luciana [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Simeon, Vittorio [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Lotumolo, Antonella [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Rabasco, Paola [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Villonio, Antonio [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Gioioso, Matilde [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Mastrangelo, Pietro [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Barchetti, Flavio [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Panebianco, Valeria [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Macarini, Luca [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 3
- Guglielmi, Giuseppe [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 3, 4
- Cammarota, Aldo [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
Radiology Department, IRCCS-CROB, Rionero in Vulture (Potenza) - Italy
Department of Radiological Sciences,
Department of Radiology, University of Foggia, Foggia - Italy
Department of Radiology, Scientific Institute Hospital “Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza,” San Giovanni Rotondo (Foggia) - Italy
Giancarlo Iannelli and Rocchina Caivano contributed equally to this work.