Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy (FSR) is a recognized treatment for vestibular schwannomas (VS). This study’s aim is to present clinical outcomes and local control (LC) results for patients with VS treated with FSR using the Cyberknife® (CK) in 2 French cancer centers.
Patients treated with FSR for VS between 2007 and 2012 were retrospectively analyzed. Local control was determined using follow-up MRI. The hearing preservation (HP) rate was determined by analyzing pretreatment and posttreatment audiograms.
Forty patients were treated for VS with the CK in both centers. The mean maximal VS dimension was 18.3 mm (range 3-30). The median follow-up was 36 months and the LC was 97% at 3 years of follow-up and 89% after 5 years. The HP rate was 83% and no facial nerve impairment was reported.
Our results in terms of LC and HP rate are congruent with similar studies that use the CK to treat VS. It appears that the CK is safe and efficient in VS management even for large lesions. Further studies with larger cohorts are warranted.
Tumori 2016; 102(6): 569 - 573
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsRaphaël Jumeau, Pierre-Yves Bondiau, Cécile Parietti-Winkler, Julia Salleron, Thierry Civit, Didier Peiffert, Valérie Bernier-Chastagner
- • Accepted on 16/08/2016
- • Available online on 22/09/2016
- • Published in print on 01/12/2016
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Jumeau, Raphaël [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, * Corresponding Author (email@example.com)
- Bondiau, Pierre-Yves [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Parietti-Winkler, Cécile [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 3
- Salleron, Julia [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 4
- Civit, Thierry [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 5
- Peiffert, Didier [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Bernier-Chastagner, Valérie [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
Department of Radiotherapy, Institut de Cancérologie de Lorraine, Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy - France
Department of Radiotherapy, Centre Antoine Lacassagne, Nice - France
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Nancy University Hospital, Nancy - France
Department of Statistics, Institut de Cancérologie de Lorraine, Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy - France
Department of Neurosurgery, Nancy University Hospital, Nancy - France