The nonhomologous end-joining (NHEJ) pathway is the main mechanism repairing DNA double-strand breaks (DSBs) in human cells. This research was designed to study the association between selected variants in NHEJ members and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC).
Two single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), PRKDC (rs7003908) and X-ray repair cross complementing group 4 (XRCC4; rs1805377), were genotyped in a total of 189 patients with ESCC and 189 unrelated control individuals in a high-risk area for ESCC in North China, and the polymerase chain reaction–restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) method was applied.
A significantly different distribution was found in the frequency of PRKDC (rs7003908) genotype between the ESCC group and controls. Individuals homozygous for the C allele had a significant (3.185-fold) increased risk of ESCC. As for XRCC4 (rs1805377) polymorphism, no difference was found in distribution between the ESCC and control groups.
Our results suggest that variation in DNA repair genes may be associated with risk of ESCC.
Tumori 2016; 102(2): 131 - 134
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsHong-Li Yang, Dong-Dong Qiao, Kun Li, Xiao-Li Cheng, Jing Yang, Jian-Jian Zhao, Chang-Qing Xu, Yan-Qing Li
- • Accepted on 17/03/2015
- • Published online on 29/06/2015
- • Available online on 29/06/2015
- • Published in print on 18/04/2016
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Yang, Hong-Li [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Qiao, Dong-Dong [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 3
- Li, Kun [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Cheng, Xiao-Li [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 4
- Yang, Jing [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Zhao, Jian-Jian [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Xu, Chang-Qing [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Li, Yan-Qing [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, * Corresponding Author (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Department of Gastroenterology, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan - PR China
Department of Gastroenterology, Shandong Qianfoshan Hospital Affiliated With Shandong University, Jinan - PR China
Shandong Provincial Mental Health Center, Jinan - PR China
Qingdao Sanatorium of Shandong Province, Qingdao - PR China
Hong-Li Yang and Dong-Dong Qiao contributed equally to this work.