Fluorouracil, leucovorin, irinotecan, oxaliplatin (FOLFIRINOX) and gemcitabine plus nab-paclitaxel (GEM-N) have shown a significant survival benefit for the treatment of metastatic pancreatic cancer. The objective of this study was to assess the cost-effectiveness of FOLFIRINOX versus GEM-N for treating metastatic pancreatic cancer based on the PRODIGE and MPACT trials.
A decision model was performed to compare FOLFIRINOX with GEM-N. Primary base case data were identified from PRODIGE and MPACT trials. Costs were estimated and incremental cost-effectiveness ratio (ICER) was calculated at West China Hospital, Sichuan University, China. Survival benefits were reported in quality-adjusted life-years (QALY). Finally, sensitive analysis was performed by varying potentially modiﬁable parameters in the model.
The base-case analysis showed that FOLFIRINOX cost $37,203.75 and yielded a survival of 0.67 QALY, and GEM-N cost $32,080.59 and yielded a survival of 0.51 QALY in the entire treatment. Thus, the ICER of FOLFIRINOX versus GEM-N was $32,019.75 per QALY gained.
The GEM-N regimen was more cost-effective compared with the FOLFIRINOX regimen for the treatment of metastatic pancreatic cancer from a Chinese perspective.
Tumori 2016; 102(3): 294 - 300
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsJing Zhou, Rongce Zhao, Feng Wen, Pengfei Zhang, Yifan Wu, Ruilei Tang, Hongdou Chen, Jian Zhang, Qiu Li
- • Accepted on 08/02/2016
- • Available online on 05/04/2016
- • Published in print on 02/06/2016
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Zhou, Jing [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Zhao, Rongce [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Wen, Feng [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Zhang, Pengfei [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Wu, Yifan [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 3
- Tang, Ruilei [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Chen, Hongdou [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Zhang, Jian [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Li, Qiu [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, * Corresponding Author (email@example.com)
Department of Medical Oncology, Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu - China
Division of Liver Transplantation, Department of Liver Surgery, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu - China
School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan - USA
Jing Zhou and Rongce Zhao contributed equally to this article.