Clinical outcomes of recurrent gastric cancer detected by upper endoscopy after curative total gastrectomy
Tumori 2017; 103(2): 164 - 169
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsHee Kyong Na, Ji Yong Ahn, Jeong Hoon Lee, Do Hoon Kim, Kee Don Choi, Ho June Song, Gin Hyug Lee, Hwoon-Yong Jung, Jin-Ho Kim
Endoscopically detected tumor recurrence after curative total gastrectomy is very rare. We reviewed the clinicopathological and endoscopic findings together with the clinical outcomes of these patients.
Seventeen patients with recurrent gastric cancer detected by upper gastrointestinal endoscopy who underwent curative total gastrectomy between January 1990 and May 2011 at the Asan Medical Center were analyzed retrospectively.
Of the 17 patients, 5 were resectable at the time of diagnosis of recurrence and 12 were unresectable. The median interval between total gastrectomy and diagnosis of recurrence was 20.2 months (interquartile range 12.4-42.1 months). The tumors were located in the anastomotic area in 8 patients, in the proximal part of the afferent or efferent loop in 7, and in the stump of the afferent loop in 2 patients. With regard to the endoscopic findings, a mass was found in 8 cases, an ulcer in 2, stricture in 4, and nodularities in 3. Operations were performed in 3 patients, chemotherapy in 10 (including 2 receiving adjuvant chemotherapy), and conservative management in 6. Fourteen patients died from progression of the disease and the median survival period from recurrence for all 17 patients was 5.3 months (interquartile range 1.2-7.7 months).
Local recurrence of gastric cancer detected by upper gastrointestinal endoscopy after curative total gastrectomy has a poor prognosis.
- • Accepted on 20/09/2016
- • Available online on 15/10/2016
- • Published in print on 24/03/2017
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Na, Hee Kyong [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Ahn, Ji Yong [PubMed] [Google Scholar] , * Corresponding Author (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lee, Jeong Hoon [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Kim, Do Hoon [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Choi, Kee Don [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Song, Ho June [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Lee, Gin Hyug [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Jung, Hwoon-Yong [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Kim, Jin-Ho [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
Division of Gastroenterology, Departments of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul - Korea